Call Now: (847) 915-6186
At Assisting Hands, we can help veterans and their spouses in the Park Ridge, IL area with VA home care services. They can help cover the cost of home care through our VA care programs with their VA benefits.
Home Care Services Northbrook, IL
Approximately half of all veterans living in the U.S. are 65 or older and may need some form of home care to live safely at home. If veterans and their spouses are eligible to receive VA pension benefits, they can use them to pay for the care. Veterans can only apply for VA benefits through the Department of Veteran’s Affairs and if they are eligible, our professionals at Assisting Hands can work with them through our VA home care program.
Qualified veterans can expect quality, compassionate care from our trained and licensed caregivers. Our VA home care services start with an in-home evaluation to assess your care needs and we will talk about your options for using your VA benefits to cover the care.
VA Pension Benefits
Veterans interested and may be eligible for VA pension benefits need to apply with the Department of Veteran’s Affairs. Typically, veterans and their spouses must meet the following criteria to be eligible for the benefits:
- All applicants, including veterans and their spouses, must be at least 65
- Spouses of veterans must have been married to the veteran at their time of death
- Applicants must have a retirement account worth less than $123,600
- Applicants must receive a combined monthly income of less than $3000 for married couples, $2600 for single veterans, and $2000 for surviving spouses
- Veterans must have one day of service during a time of war
The application process may also include the following questions:
- Do you require assistance for any activities of daily living (ADLs)?
- Do you live at home and plan to stay at home for the next year?
- If you live in a care facility, do you have a discharge date on which you will return home?
- Have you ever received or applied for VA benefits for wounds suffered during military service?
Those who qualify and receive VA benefits can work with Assisting Hands to receive care through the following programs:
VA Home Health Aid (HHA) Homemaker/ Home Health Program
Eligible veterans are provided with up to 12 hours of home care per week through our VA Home Health Aid program. Those interested must first be evaluated by an interdisciplinary panel for geriatric extended care (GEC) that includes a social worker (SW), registered nurse (RN), and a medical doctor (MD). You must also meet the following criteria:
- Dependence for 3 or more activities of daily living (ADLs)
- Issues with cognitive impairment
VA Respite Care
If a veteran or their spouse receives care from a relative and only needs temporary or part time care, our VA respite care services are a good fit. For this program, the applicant must complete an interdisciplinary assessment for geriatric extended care (GEC) and exhibit the following:
- Dependency for at least 3 activities of daily living (ADLs)
- Significant cognitive impairment
Free In-Home Consultation from Assisting Hands
Those interested in our VA home care services for a loved one or themselves can call Assisting Hands to schedule a free in-home consultation. During this consultation, we will discuss your care needs and determine how your VA benefits can be applied to cover the care.
Call our professionals at 847-915-6186 to schedule a consultation or learn more about our VA home care services in Park Ridge, IL.
Related VA Home Care Services: