Call Now: (847) 915-6186
In Elk Grove Village, IL, and the neighboring communities, Assisting Hands can help dementia patients through memory care services.
Home care is beneficial for individuals suffering from Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and other types of dementia. Families, however, often find it difficult to provide their loved ones with such care themselves, because the care must be consistent. We can help with this through effective memory care services for individuals diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease or other form of dementia. Our caregivers ensure clients are safe at home and engage them in memory exercises to slow the progression of memory loss.
For more information regarding our memory care services, give us a call at (847) 915-6186.
Alzheimer’s Disease versus Dementia
Although the terms are sometimes used interchangeably, Alzheimer’s disease and dementia are not the same. Dementia is the general term for symptoms like cognitive degeneration and memory loss. Alzheimer’s disease is one type of dementia. It is a leading cause of death in the United States and affects 70 percent of elderly individuals who have dementia.
Regardless of the form, dementia is a degenerative disease that hinders cognitive abilities and memory. As time progresses, the symptoms worsen. While memory loss may begin with short-term memory loss, it will eventually affect long-term memory. As cognitive abilities decline, it will become increasingly more difficult for the individual to care for themselves. All Alzheimer’s and dementia patients require consistent care to ensure their well-being and to guarantee they live at home safely.
Signs of Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia
As seniors age, it’s common to experience some memory loss. So it isn’t a definite sign of Alzheimer’s disease or dementia. The early stages of dementia feature consistent memory problems, general confusion, and agitation. If you can spot the early signs of Alzheimer’s disease or other forms of dementia, you can get your loved ones help sooner, which can help manage such symptoms.
Common symptoms of Alzheimer’s and dementia include:
- Forgetfulness: With Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia, individuals lose short-term memory first. To begin, people may forget the previous day’s events and conversations. This occurrence will become more frequent. their long-term memory will then be affected and become so severe they won’t recognize family and friends.
- Wandering: The general confusion Alzheimer’s and dementia patients experience can cause them to wander around aimlessly, searching for things that don’t exist or for long lost friends. Without supervision, wandering can be dangerous, especially if they manage to leave their home.
- Agitation: Alzheimer’s and dementia patients can become frustrated from increasing limitations. This can lead to mood swings and outbursts of agitation.
- Incontinence: During the late stages of Alzheimer’s and dementia, those affected lose bodily control, resulting in incontinence.
Memory Care in Elk Grove Village, IL
For memory care services in the Elk Grove Village, IL area, contact Assisting Hands at 847-915-6186.
To ensure their safety and to manage symptoms, Alzheimer’s and dementia patients need constant care. At Assisting Hands, our caregivers have the necessary training to provide care for such individuals.
We take a loving, compassionate approach to any mood swings and agitation, and will act immediately when patients start to wander. We also engage patients in mental stimulation exercises reduce memory loss.
The following can be expected from our Alzheimer’s and dementia care services:
- Companionship: For Alzheimer’s and dementia patients, it’s essential they are surrounded by friendly faces. Our caregivers will develop a personal relationship with them. We make conversation with your loved one and engage them in their favorite activities and hobbies, reducing memory loss and stabilizing their mood.
- Personal Care: Personal care activities can be tough for Alzheimer’s and dementia patients, so our caregivers help them bathe, get dressed, use the restroom, and more.
- Wandering: Wandering is especially dangerous for Alzheimer’s and dementia patients and even more so if they leave their home. Our caregivers are around to stop them from leaving and help them move around safely.
- Medication Reminders: Our caregivers ensure your loved ones take their medication at the right time.
- Meal Preparation: To provide Alzheimer’s and dementia patients with proper nutrition, our caregivers prepare daily meals and account for any dietary restrictions.
When contacting Assisting Hands for memory care, we will do an in-home consultation with you and your loved one. This includes care assessment to determine the individual’s care needs and use the information to develop a personalized care plan. It is flexible and can be altered to accommodate any changes in needs. We will also keep you updated on your loved one’s condition.
If you have a loved one in Elk Grove Village, IL, or the neighboring area with Alzheimer’s disease or another form of dementia, reach out to Assisting Hands for memory care. Our caregivers are experienced and well-trained to help your loved one live safely at home.
For a free initial consultation regarding our memory care services, call Assisting Hands at 847-915-6186.
Related Dementia Care Services:
Dementia Care Palatine, IL
Dementia Care Hoffman Estates, IL
Dementia Care Park Ridge, IL
Park Ridge Dementia Care
Dementia Care Rolling Meadows, IL
Dementia Care Schaumburg, IL
Dementia Care Harwood Heights, IL
Dementia Care Niles, IL
Dementia Care Norridge, IL
Dementia Care Chicago, IL
Dementia Care Des Plaines, IL